17 January 2011

Don't know what to call this.

Today is Martin Luther King Jr. Day. I couldn't take part in any public celebrations because I am recovering from surgery. Couldn't watch any commemorations on TV because I only get one channel. (The FoodNetwork!) I loaned my book on MLK's prayer life to my boss. I can't focus on much right now, so that's OK.

I did venture out to my local bagel shop to get a bagel with smoked salmon spread and a Raspberry Zinger. I borrowed a tabloid for light reading.

A man was sitting at the table behind me. I could hear his many conversations because he was less than five feet away from me and was constantly on his cellphone. Using his "cellphone voice." I was NOT actively eavesdropping. I just couldn't help but hear him. He was obviously in real estate. He called to give updates on properties he had shown. "I told her to act fast, because this one was going to fly out the door." "The property on East 93rd Street wouldn't let me in. She doesn't want people to see her, and the door man wouldn't let me up."

Then came the zinger. "I can't get anything done on this half-assed holiday." Yup. That's what he said. I turned around and looked at him. I did not give him "The Look" - I just looked at him. He finished his conversation, and as he walked by me, he stopped and said, "I'd like to explain what I meant." I replied that an explanation wasn't necessary. He proceeded to tell me that he thought the holiday didn't get the respect it deserved. "The stores are opened. The buses are not on a holiday schedule..." I didn't bother to recall what else he said. I didn't bother to remind him that the banks were closed, as were the schools, government offices, post offices.

I didn't speak up because I don't know what I would say, or how I would say it. I didn't know how to tell him that I did not believe his explanation.

I was sorry that I could not attend a Martin Luther King Jr. event. I need to know that there are more well-meaning people in the world than not. I am glad that I can be appalled by that exchange, that I haven't become so calloused that I don't get up set or won't turn around when I hear a slight. I need that hope, and I need to build on that belief.

1 comment:

cembalo said...

I was just looking over some old poetry on my blog, and saw your comment on one of them. Dunno why I had not seen it before.


While I am still around (now in southern California) I don't seem to be writing poetry anymore---perhaps I will again.

Looking over your own blog, I very much identify with your thoughts. If you want to write to me, my address is now:
cembalo10@gmail.com

I'd enjoy hearing from you.

-Dean